[Release] Dys_Well Beta 14 - June 11/06

A place to discuss Custom additions to Dystopia.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

[Release] Dys_Well Beta 14 - June 11/06

Postby Cyanyde » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:54 am

June 11/06
Check last post for new info.

Here is a link to grab the current version of the map:
http://madness.tmok.com/~asdfg/well/dys_wellb14.rar

Although the layout is the same, the goal for this map is much different than it's former incarnations. Punks must gain access to a protected security tower deep inside the Corp's base. Once inside they need to download sensitive data to sell to a rival corporation.

The objectives play out as follows:

Obj1: Capture Ramproom

Punks must get inside the base and capture the ramproom with the panel.
There are 3 ways into the base, roof hatch, sewer entrance and front door. All three are hackable in cyberspace but the jips are in midfield which is a pretty dangerous spot to hack from.

Corps can defend from a number of positions, sniper deck, roof, or they can go stealth and try to slice and dice the punk deckers. They can also hack from the security room just off the ramproom to slow down the punks' entrance.

Obj2: Destroy power core

First the nodes must be hacked for the 3 generator shields
Which expose the 3 generators themselfs.
Once those are blown up a full-out assault can be made on the core.

Obj3: Download data
This is where it gets interesting. Now that the tower defenses are down all that stands in the way of the data is a bit of cyberspace fun. The data is stored in a secure server which can only be accessed from the upper control room.

There are 3 jips in the upper part and 2 in the lower. The upper middle jip is where the punks decker finds himself in a 3d platform setting, while the outer 2 are anti-grav defense jips. He must get across the platforms to the teleporter which will drop him on the data itself, unfortunatly, there are 2 anti-grav attack jips in the lower tower for corps deckers to try to make life a little harder for him.

While this is going on, the corps can try to take hold of the whole tower by means of a turret button in the control room and a couple good snipers.

It may seem a little confusing at first, but if you know the layout from playing the original map, and you take some time to get used to my idea of cyberspace, I think you will find this a rather well-balanced level.

I look forward to any comments or suggestions and I have plans to include a little surprise somewhere within for those of you who have helped me with testing.

EDIT: Updated pics and added a couple new ones.
Last edited by Cyanyde on Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:49 am, edited 27 times in total.
click the banner to get your own!
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby Spirit_Sherb » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:43 pm

OH WOW! That map seemingly made a hell of a progress! o.o

I'll check it out as soon as I can ^_^

(comments added later in edit)
Image<not yet changed
Spirit_Sherb

AOL: spiritsherb

Postby Dogmeat » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:58 pm

I loved the bit with the 3 balls and electricity in cyberspace. Your cyberspace is really unique, kind of has a creative 90's feel, if you ask me.

It is really progressing well.
Dogmeat
Operative

Postby Cyanyde » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:45 am

I'm currently working on redesigning the first two nodes. Im very happy with the objective 2 cyberspace, but the other areas of cs look horrible in comparison. I've decided to do a Rocket Arena style for the unlock/lock door node, complete with jumppads and teles.. If you're familiar with Quake 3 you'll probably recognize the layout as being quite similar to q3tourney4.. aka Vertical Vengence.

http://madness.tmok.com/~asdfg/wellb8/

It looks pretty dry right now, but you can picture where it's going. Once Im happy with the design I'll post updated pic so check back later today. Beta 8 will hopefully be on the server tonight which includes the most fixes/changes to this map to date. I will update this thread when it is ready.
:wink:
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby MisFit4Me » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:58 am

Wow, this really has come a long way from wellb6... good job man. But you took out the lighting D:
MisFit4Me
Decker

AOL: MisFit4Me

Postby Happy Goat » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:21 pm

Very impressive.Meat space plays well when map is full even with a lot of spam weapon use - bearing in mind that I have played full map 4/5 times.What impresses me most is cyberspace.It is original,well made,fun.......great.....
All in all great jobie Cyanide :D looking forward to seeing this map finished and to next projects youll work on.
Happy Goat

good job

Postby nC_Razor » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:22 pm

Congrats, Cynande.

The looks improve :D
And I like your guide to the Map :D

Good news:
- Many ways to acess the goals
- plenty of use for deckers
- Alternatives to decking
- Last minute defending possible :D

Gameplay feelings:
(campy)
As a defending player, I feel a bit too campy.
(long ways to run)
I like to run and Assault, but the ways are too long for heavies to run.
(lots of turrets)
I feel like that it is almost a must to go stealth, to deal with all the turrets.
On the other hand, that's what the deckers have to do and those in the ramp room seem to be taken out fairily easy.

(Cyberspace)
... is a bit strange to me, since I am not familliar with jump and runs. But after getting a bit familiar, I can imagine that fun is increasing.
What I realy like, is the cleverness in the architecture. Jumppads to shorten ways are clever :D

(Open wide areas)
... are something I don't like. You're a victim of redlight beams without any chance. Especially on the elevatorplatforms you can not evade or hide.

(Balancing)
... I don't know about, since 90% of the people playing the map with me did not know where to go. But it seems much more easy for the punks, since they have won evry game- surprise, I didn't expect that.

Suggestions:
Continue with the athmospheric feeling of the map. That is one of the main parts what Dystopia makes diffrent from TFC.

Make monitors in each spawn to show the running objective. So people are more willing to learn this map. When they don't start playing, they won't discover all the possibilities of this map.

More ways to get to final room. Ladders maybe and a catwalk each level, so you can walk the ladder in stages, meanwhile you dodge and shoot.
The best is within you, but in others as well.
nC_Razor
Rocketeer

Postby Lez » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:14 am

I whould be happy with a light map.
Lez
PHAN
PHAN

AOL: LordZogbog

Postby Cyanyde » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:37 am

Im compiling version 8 with lights.. the generators are the appropriate colors and stuff so it kind of affects the gameplay more than I like to admit now.

Anyway, I redid the first node to better suit my new-found love of cyberspace mapping.

Everyone likes 'wip' shots right?

So it starts off like any other hack..

But then things start getting a bit weird..

Meet the Cyberscraper!

Don't be afraid.

Don't forget to open the door while you're here.

So this is why it's called "Well"

And of course the ceiling.. er floor you'll be walking on..

Hope you like it.. It's not quite finished yet but it will be soon.
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby MisFit4Me » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:39 pm

Holy crap Cyanide, you love getting creative with the Cyberspace don't you?
I'd just like to tell you I played dys_wellb7 for like an hour last night and it's really fun. I love the ladder of DEWM, for it takes some skill for the punks to succesfully get through it. The only complaint I have, is at the end, I think when you run in to the jack-in point, there should be a little bit of a larger wall so you can hide from the turrests as you hack, yet have your back exposed to a window.
MisFit4Me
Decker

Postby nuNce » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:00 pm

I'll admit I don't like this map much. Passing on the textures, I don't like the models of rooms and cyberspace. Cannot say a lot about the gameplay, because I played it with just a few people, but it doesn't fit with my concept of a dystopia map. I never played TFC so I don't know how was designed the original, but everything looks so "primitive".
The cyberspace looks like a platform game. I thought I was playing rayman with all those little platforms where you had to jump on. Personally it doesn't give me any cyberpunk feeling. So, finally, my point is that it could be a fun map, but I don't think/hope it's gonna be a clan match place.
All of above are my personal thoughts about the map, don't take them like statements.
v66 - The Emote of the Beast

nuNce
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Cyanyde » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:10 pm

Wow cool.. Honest feedback! :D

Just keep in mind this is the beta, all I've been worried about until now is gameplay. Not sure which part of cyberspace you mean, but if it's the yellow room with colored platforms, I recommend you give it anoher go in version 8.. if it's the objective 2 ones, well, Im happy with them so they aren't changing, but the first node (I think that's the Rayman thing you meant) has been redone. Anyway, give it another go when it gets released. I'm doing a lit build tonight and the detailing/textures/models will be finalised in version 9. Just so you know, this is also my first map, so don't expect "Vaccine" But as far as gameplay goes.. well, like I said, I suggest you give it another go.

Anyway.. honesty pwns.. thanks for that.
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby nuNce » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:21 am

[quote="Cyanyde"][/quote]

I'm gonna give it a try when you will release the version 8. As I told you I don't have a real knowledge about it's gameplay. I'm happy to read that you have redone the yellow room. If you could give it a "dystopian" style it would be great for the athmosphere. ;)
Good WIP. ;)

nuNce
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Cyanyde » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:35 am

down for maintenance
Last edited by Cyanyde on Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby nuNce » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:25 pm

Looks like you did a nice work. I'm going to try it out with my fellas.

nuNce
PHAN
PHAN

Postby obb » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:06 pm

this is probably just me as i've done a lot of decking, but make the platformer puzzles more difficult... you can almost just hold space and forward and glide through each one. I'm talking about blue red green(?) node hacking and final.
obb

Postby Cyanyde » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:32 pm

Some say it's too hard.. The original vertical node was waaaay to hard, I only saw one person do it first try, and that was termi. The new node is a little more intesting; unfortunatly it was bugged so Im recompiling now. I'll post again when version 8 is back online.
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby Cyanyde » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:47 pm

After a fantastic series of tests on the #dys_mappers server, I now present to you Dys_Wellb8.
It's currently running on both the #dys_mappers server : 70.86.173.169:27021
and the JIP server: 72.36.142.224:27015
Or you can get the rar from here:
[Get current version from the first post]

Here are the changes for version 8:

* Replaced "Rayman node" with what I like to call, the Cybertower...
* Changed colors on generators to match nodes. Lights go on and off depending on which are hacked. Also changed references to the nodes from 1,2, 3 to Blue, Yellow, Red for easier communication.
* Removed linear progression through generator node. Now you can do whichever color is needed in any order.
* Colored generator nodes now disappear from Cyspace when blown up in meatspace.
* Added tripwire with alarm to control room door to deter camping objective 3 which can be turned off with turret button. (this is why I want a stealth texture which requires thermal)
* Added turrets outside control area. Disabled on Obj3
* Added second jip to core room (upper spawn)
* Lights!!
* Removed missing textures, dev textured shitty looking areas.
* Fixed front door not relocking for corps.
* Fixed falling off map in red node.
* Fixed bounds so players can't leave the map.
* Redid bridge in control room, can now leg boost to upper area.
* Added shield to (mostly) block upper area until Obj2 - too many complained the map was too open. You can still get up there tho if you know how..
* Moved turret button in control room to window side.
* a tiny bit of displacment outside, will add more.
* Fixed elevators. Small lift has shorter delay and large lifts are slightly faster. Will add sniper protection for beta9
* Hatch and iris now stay open when triggered from inside.
* Added password protection to Blue node and fixed it so you can't hack it through the ice.. :roll:
* Fixed up the cyberskybox - this will be redone for beta9
* Widened catwalk on side buildings in midfield (in prep for actually opening them up proprely.
* Various other minor fixes/refinements

TO DO:

* Fix jack-in screens
* Add info_locations
* Finish placing light fixtures
* Add ambient noises etc..
* Refine cybertower from feedback on b8
* Fix elevators in Control area to discourage sniping
* Displacment, debris and foilage outside
* Add rain?
* Make signage and other needed graphics
* Refine brushwork/optimize
* Detail/Texture
* Open up side areas in midfield/attach to tunnels
* Add hackable ladders for last objective
* More security on the tower so obj2 has a point :p
* I'm also considering a new objctive to lengthen gameplay, we'll see how this version does.
* Turret control room
* Add resup to lower level (accesible to punks)

There's a ton left to do, but I've made massive progress. Looking back on this whole thing, it's amazing I didn't give up when there was "slime" in the moat.. If it weren't for Headshotservers.com I probably would have.

If you reported a bug and I didn't list it here, I may have missed it. Take a look around and see what still needs to be fixed. Also keep in mind that anyone who helps me will become part of a special surprise I have planned. :wink:

Thanks to everyone who has and is supporting my efforts. This is my first real attempt at releasing a finished map so please be as hard on it as you can. The more I learn from this, the better my next project will be. (which I already have partly planned)

And enjoy cyberspace.. It's lot's of fun once it ceases to be confusing, but you'll probably want to take an extra battery with you.. ;)
Last edited by Cyanyde on Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby thorbinator » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:00 pm

nice work so far... the only bug i noticed is as a corp decker whenever i jacked out after the punks capped the ramproom, the server crashed.

:(

please fix this looks really promising
<doodle> :>
* doodle pokes hammer
<Laguana> careful, you might crash it
<doodle> too late :/
thorbinator
Street Samurai

Postby MisFit4Me » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:05 pm

New node is fairly confusing, though fun. After my first time through it I understood it completely. The only problem is that you can access almost anything in just that one node.
MisFit4Me
Decker

Postby Cyanyde » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:13 am

MisFit4Me wrote:New node is fairly confusing, though fun. After my first time through it I understood it completely. The only problem is that you can access almost anything in just that one node.

Yeah I have that problem with it too. But I have plans to add more nodes for other stuff, not as big, but in the end they will all be nodes linking to the one central tower. My biggest problem right now is the energy issue, which will eventually be resolved with way-station type charging booths. Unfortunatly that entity isn't released until next update so I have to work with what I have for now.

thorbinator wrote:... the only bug i noticed is as a corp decker whenever i jacked out after the punks capped the ramproom, the server crashed.

I'm working around the crashing issue right now so it shouldn't be too long before version 8b. Also, just so people know I am adding more nodes for turret control and setting the jack points in a place where they can actually be accessed, as well as moving some of the current turret locations to fairer places. (cont room tower)

Finally, the "too open" and elevator/laser rifle issues will be resolved...
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby Wraiyth » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:12 am

Wow, looks interesting. I'll be downloading this sometime soon and giving it a shot.
Wraiyth

Postby Cyanyde » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:01 am

Just fyi, there are a few subtle bits about this map that may not be apparent at first glance. For one, after the ramproom is captured and corps are moved upstairs, the turrets protecting the midfield jips go down. This enables either team to sneak outside and hack in relative peace. (a guard or 2 to watch your back is always nice)

Next thing I noticed is that alot of times the corps tend to bunch up in the upper core area leaving the rest of the base open to the punks. SPREAD OUT into the surrounding areas! and remember, whichever team owns the turrets, owns the security room. if the corps manage to take those turrets it is nearly impossible for the punks to get around until they get them back, but the corps can easily live without them by simply avoiding the sniper deck area.

which brings me to the tunnels. basicly, use them. You can get to the control tower room from the second punk spawn, which leads to elevators, which lead to the back side of the upper spawn. It is nearly impossible to get up the ladder of dewm. It is *very* easy to lob grenades down on the corp defenders from above when they are focused on said ladder. Also the turrets outside the control tower (mounted on the dome-thingys) *can* be taken down, they just take alot of heat before they do.

The sides of midfield can be accessed from the roof, ill be concentrating more on that area over the next few builds.

Take the time to explore the map offline, the control tower has laser tripwires on the door until the last objective, but you can throw a nade through the bars to open the window. The turrets spawn as corp property, but there is a button in the control room which a stealther can easily get to.

The jack-points in the final corp spawn lead to the same place the punk decker is jacked-in to. The only difference is he has gravity and they don't. There are also 2 defense nodes up stairs. This means it should be 2v3 in cyberspace, while the rest go at in in meatspace.

When this map first started getting played it was supposedly too easy on the punks, but if both teams know the map, it is extremely corp friendly up until the final bit. Im working on balancing it out more, but it seems the more people get used to it, the more balanced it becomes. Now if I can just cut out the possibility of the 5 minute rush I'll be happy. :p
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby Cyanyde » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:41 am

new version up.. dys_wellb9b is current.

Here is the list of changes:
* closed the elevators to get rid of lr rapage
* added ladders for corps to get upstairs easier
* fixed cyberfloor in 1st node so it's not so god-damned annoying
* moved the turrets in cont tower back to allow punks to attack core from behind
* removed ability to skip 1st obj :O
* fixed ability to shoot through catwalk in tower area
* added *some* location info! finally
* made upper spawns bigger and added spawnpoints
* added 2nd security room to fix crashing (opens on obj2)
* opened lower portion of punks base to cut back spawn camping(obviously unfinished)
* fixed annoying ceiling textures in midfield and tunnels
* added filters to spawns (except the last corps)
* breakable wall..

As always it's on Headshotservers @ 70.86.173.169:27021

GOGOGOGO
Last edited by Cyanyde on Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyanyde
higher post count

Postby p<m>p » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:01 am

the gameplay rocks, and now it's startin to look pretty good as well!
p<m>p

Return to “%s” Dystopia Custom Content