(WIP) dys_phobia - Beta 2

A place to discuss Custom additions to Dystopia.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

(WIP) dys_phobia - Beta 2

Postby kruemel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:43 am

Hallo,

I want to present you my first (real) dystopia map!

Story:

Corps intelligence discovered that a punk organisation is in the end-stage of the developement of a serum that turns normal insects into giant, aggressiv creatures. Their plan is distribute it among all big cities they can reach in order to them descend into chaos. Since this might cause huge problems for the ruling system, the dispersion of the serum must be prevented. The safest way to do this, without risking to accidentally spread it, would be capturing the facility, in which it is developed before the punks get the change to finish their work. Corps do already know where their mainbase is located, however, they still have to find the way to the facilities controls.

Objective 1:

Corps spawn in a dropship above the roof of the punks main base. Their first task is to connect the buildings network to the operation controllers in order to send them all information about the facility which will hopefully lead them to the control room. Once they have established the connection their meatspace them has to make sure that the punks won't release it again while their deckers upload the information in cyberspace to the corps servers.
Once all information is uploaded, corps can capture the upstairs spawn.

Objective 2:

The information gathered from the network has shown, that the control room is behind the laboratory in the basement. Since the main access to it is too good protected corps have to use another way. They have also found out that a gas conduit between the normal basement and the lab is leaking, therefore they can use something explosive to blow up the related part of the wall if they manage to open the hatch that seals the leak. The hatch can be opened with a jip in the basement.

Objective 3:

Before corps can access the control room they have to disable its defense system. In order to this they have to make their way through the lab area, hack its security system, and reach the jip in front of the control rooms access.

Objective 4:

Once the corps have entered the control room, they have to destroy the power conduits which maintain the lasers in front of the main computer and then, once they lasers are disabled, install a new software at the main computer.
However, corps have to keep in mind that the punks are able to reactivate the control rooms security system (objective 3) when they are able to reach the former corp jips at the other end of the laboratory.

[Please exuse my bad english :oops: ]

Beta2 Changelog:

- obj1:
data upload is faster
- obj2:
elevators are faster (they need now only about 5 secs to get from one floor to the other one); however they behave a bit stupid right now; you will understand what I mean when you have seen them. I hope that they will work as they are supposed to once dystopia uses the OB engine
the obj area is smaller
the tube on cs is shorter
- obj3:
swapped the location of spawn 4 and the obj jip, which means that the corps have a shorter way to capture obj3 as well as that their spawn will be closer to obj4 once they have captured obj3
- obj4:
added a room underneath the obj with an ammo dispenser and a third possiblity to enter the conduit area

Download beta2: http://www.filefront.com/15103455/dys_phobia_b2.bsp/
dys_phobia_b10002.jpg
dys_phobia_b10003.jpg
dys_phobia_b10001.jpg
I am looking forward to your comments!
Last edited by kruemel on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
kruemel
Operative

Re: (WIP) dys_phobia - Beta 1

Postby Pyroguy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:36 pm

This makes me want to work on my map again. I'm giving it a try now. Just by screenies though, looks like lots of open space.

EDIT: Yeah, lots of space to traverse could be an issue. I liked very much the style, seems unique except for the first bit which is obviously a rip-off of exodus. A few things aren't cool though. I figured out how to do everything, which means it can't be terribly complicated. But elevators are bad, especially at the speed of the ones you have; see if you can't pull off a grav-lift type thing like cybernetic. EMP nades can't kill that "throw an explosive in here" objective, which I guess makes some sense, but I was light just because of the sheer size of the map, and when I changed to medium I just noclipped over there. Also, I managed to jump up there and push the door over with my machine pistol, which was funny. The destroyable things at the end seemed to not take much damage from MP, but a lot from my GL if I bounced them correctly, I'm not sure if you intended that or not; but if you are going to put them out of tana range, please provide an ammo bin in there. I liked the vents to ambush deckers throughout. And yeah, that's about it. Playtest time I think.
Pyroguy
PHAN
PHAN

AOL: o+pyroguy+o

Postby kruemel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:40 pm

Just by screenies though, looks like lots of open space.
Yes, thats because I have only made walls, objectives, and lightning so far which means that some areas are very open (especially obj1, but also some parts of obj2 and obj3). There will be more cover once I have added additional details.
EDIT: Yeah, lots of space to traverse could be an issue. I liked very much the style, seems unique except for the first bit which is obviously a rip-off of exodus.
Yes, that's true. I liked exoudus appearence a lot and wanted it to put it to use.
But elevators are bad, especially at the speed of the ones you have; see if you can't pull off a grav-lift type thing like cybernetic.

I guess that you are right in this case. What's about just making them very fast (like 10 times as fast as they are at the moment)? I mean elevators are a nice detail, much better than grav-lifts. Imho.
EMP nades can't kill that "throw an explosive in here" objective

Really? :shock: I was able to destroy it with emps.
The destroyable things at the end seemed to not take much damage from MP, but a lot from my GL if I bounced them correctly, I'm not sure if you intended that or not; but if you are going to put them out of tana range, please provide an ammo bin in there.
The downside of an ammo bin in there would be that defenders don't have to leave the room in order to gain extra ammo. But the next ammo dispenser should probably be closer to the objective.

Thank you!
kruemel
Operative

Postby Neon Girl » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:11 pm

DLing now, I'mma fire it up and tell you what I think :P

I was able to destroy the "throw explosive" obj with EMPs too. Oh yeah, and I agree with Pyro that an ammo bin near the last obj would be pretty nice. Try faster elevators. I think they work better on OB too. Not sure though.

But yeah, I figured everything out. Massive map, took me nearly 18 mins to finish it solo. Now that I know what I'm doing, I'm sure I could cut that time down but still... If you can find a way to shorten some of the distances, that would be great.
Neon Girl
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Pyroguy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:09 pm

Yeah, this map is massive. Bigger than injection I think. Try to shorten distances before adding some detail and cover. Or, try it out with some quick orange-map cover in playtests.
Pyroguy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby 0verflow » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:23 am

I really like your art direction.
This is my first run through the map and it took too long. Generally, when you play through the map by yourself, it should always take less than 10 minutes.
But elevators are bad, especially at the speed of the ones you have; see if you can't pull off a grav-lift type thing like cybernetic
Trains will be a lot better with Orangebox so I don't think it will be a issue.
The downside of an ammo bin in there would be that defenders don't have to leave the room in order to gain extra ammo. But the next ammo dispenser should probably be closer to the objective.
Put the ammo bin in a small room outside the objective with a corp only forcefield.
0verflow
Operative

Postby kruemel » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:02 am

Thanks for your feedback.

Which areas are too large? All of them? Particular ones? I think it shouldn't be that difficult to shorten some parts of the map.
By the way, do you think that the "upload data" part of obj1 takes too much time?
kruemel
Operative

Postby Neon Girl » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:10 pm

I just re-played, finished in 10:16

I'm not a huge fan of those elevators, but yeah, OB does it better so go ahead and leave 'em in for now. Parts that were too big had to be mainly in the OBJ 2 area. You have to go down a sllooowww elevator, then through like, 10 doors to jack in and go down nearly a mile of tube so you can run alllllll the way across the map to actually score the obj. I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea. Faster elevator and a shorter cyber tube would do nicely.

The last obj has the opposite problem I think. No way to know for sure how it will play, but having the final JIP and the power conduits all right next to the defenders spawn... It won't be a problem with the power conduits but I'm pretty sure that it would fairly easy for the defenders to keep Corps out of that JIP.
Neon Girl
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Pyroguy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:07 am

I cited my dislike of the elevator not because they are jittery but because it would take forever to get to the action.
Pyroguy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby kruemel » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:34 am

I cited my dislike of the elevator not because they are jittery but because it would take forever to get to the action.
They are supposed to be jittery :D

I have made a few changes to the map:

- obj1:
data upload is faster
- obj2:
elevators are faster (they need now only about 5 secs to get from one floor to the other one); however they behave a bit stupid right now; you will understand what I mean when you have seen them. I hope that they will work as they are supposed to once dystopia uses the OB engine
the obj area is smaller
the tube on cs is shorter
- obj3:
swapped the location of spawn 4 and the obj jip, which means that the corps have a shorter way to capture obj3 as well as that their spawn will be closer to obj4 once they have captured obj3
- obj4:
added a room underneath the obj with an ammo dispenser and a third possiblity to enter the conduit area

Download beta2: http://www.filefront.com/15103455/dys_phobia_b2.bsp/
kruemel
Operative

Re: (WIP) dys_phobia - Beta 2

Postby Neon Girl » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:07 pm

obj 1- Data upload is nice :P
obj 2- I see what you mean with the elevators, prolly just a positioning error... But they're much better now that their faster. I also like the new JIP placement. The underground could use some pointers, but I think the layout for that area is ready for MFP.

OBJ 3- Those rooms that go around the back of the JIP are pretty big. They work, but I was thinking it might be cool to replace them with a massive antlion exhibit that you could go through. Is it possible to hijack the antlion AI so that they'd attack you and stuff? Otherwise it's OK.

obj 4- Eh, I rushed through it. New lower rooms looks like it has promise. You do know though that the power conduits can be attacked from down there right?

Also, just for future reference, if you .bz2 your maps, you can upload them direct to Zero-Flame's fastDL
http://zero-flame.com/upload2.php
Neon Girl
PHAN
PHAN

Postby kruemel » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:01 am

OBJ 3- Those rooms that go around the back of the JIP are pretty big. They work, but I was thinking it might be cool to replace them with a massive antlion exhibit that you could go through. Is it possible to hijack the antlion AI so that they'd attack you and stuff? Otherwise it's OK.
That`s what I wanted to do later. Make the whole area really look like someone is doing serious research there. However, I dislike the idea of starting with details now and then realize that I have to change the whole part again because of some gameplay problems.
obj 4- Eh, I rushed through it. New lower rooms looks like it has promise. You do know though that the power conduits can be attacked from down there right?
Yes, but that shouldn't be a problem. You can't attack the jip from there, therefore it is possible to reactivate the forcefields even if there are still some corps in the basement.

My problem at the moment is that I can't do any greater changes at the moment. I have to know which areas cause gameplay issues and which ones cause lags before I can start adding details. Another problem is that my entdata is already "very full" which means that I have to safe the remaining entities to use them if there are any problems with the objectives before I can use them for some visual effects.
To sum up I would really need some reports how the map performs with people actually playing it since I think that there are no more bugs that can be found by playing alone.
I guess I have to wait for the next MFP :? , but at least I can change frost in that time.
kruemel
Operative

Postby ocun » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:25 pm

let's have a playtest on the Kaya server then, tonight?
ocun

Postby D.ee » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:58 am

Why I always miss MFP's and map playtests? I love testing new maps
D.ee
PHAN
PHAN

Postby ocun » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:02 am

we didn't test, because i couldn't find kruemel and the kaya server was full all night
but the map is on the server with fastdl, too bad callvote is still broken with sourcemod
ocun

Postby kruemel » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:13 am

Thanks for your offer, ocun, but unfortunatly I wasn't at home yesterday. Would be great if we could try to play it again!
kruemel
Operative

Postby Neon Girl » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:22 pm

Updates? Or waiting till after the next MFP?
Neon Girl
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Neon Girl » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:09 pm

Man, all your maps are gone :( Can we get a recompile for 1.3 please?
Neon Girl
PHAN
PHAN

Return to “%s” Dystopia Custom Content