[version3 beta1] dys_desert

A place to discuss Custom additions to Dystopia.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

[version3 beta1] dys_desert

Postby Remonttimies » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:14 pm

Dys_desert_v3_b1 is released.

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Download

Desert at Dystopia wiki
Last edited by Remonttimies on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:53 am, edited 32 times in total.
Do you still remember dys_desert?
Remonttimies
Decker

Postby Dredhorse » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:32 pm

first... cool... :D
OH. btw: I'm normally NOT in these forums anymore, so if you want something from me you need to PM me.

Dredhorse
PHAN
PHAN

Postby avv » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:33 pm

briliant! That desert theme distinguishes the map from other urban maps. It looks like a battlefield a bit. Can you tell us more about the objectives? Like, what's their background story?

Those outdoor areas have some big blank areas, I hope more cover will be added there to prevent excessive snipefest.

EDIT: Don this is not Formula 1 and you are not Schumacher :wink:
avv

Postby anton_es » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:44 pm

talk about variety !
very good, hope you can finish it and me playtest it !!!
keep the screenshots coming.
anton_es
higher post count

Postby Lurking Shadow » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:59 pm

do want aaand you could add some bombcraters and stuff, i mean it is possibly a pretty bombed area (cyberpunkisher^^)and a crater here and there allows for duck and cover, some tank wrecks may nice too

cant wait to get laz0red by people who are better with it then me
..spamming your spawn..
Lurking Shadow
higher post count

Postby twincannon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:49 pm

Looking terrific! Are you going to use brutes?
twincannon
Puny Human staff

AOL: twincannontncn

Postby Pyroguy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:27 pm

Woa, this clearly isn't your first map; what other games have you mapped for? And use Brutes (and maybe even other vehicles)! But remember, get the layout nailed before detailing it too much; it sucks to have a detailed map that plays like crap and having to scrap huge sections.

Also, check out the Wiki and try to scavange some information from there; as I always say we have lots of great fiction for maps to utilize.
Pyroguy
PHAN
PHAN

AOL: o+pyroguy+o

Postby Elman » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:54 pm

Those outdoor areas have some big blank areas, I hope more cover will be added there to prevent excessive snipefest.
Agreed. You may want to check Fortress if you need some ideas: it's a map that could easily be a sniperfest (And in fact it was during the demo), but not it's balanced thanks to some clever layout design. But you're obviously an experienced mapper :wink:

Anyway, it looks great :D I'll be looking forward to playing it in a MFP in the future ^^ (Don't forget to test it before detailing it too much :wink:)

PS: About the Brutes... I thought they still crashed the servers from time to time (Apart from being laggy when you aren't the driver) :-?
Elman
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Esoj » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:39 pm

Looking terrific! Are you going to use brutes?
hehe twin :D. awesome looking map dude I hope you finish it and I can't wait to test it or play it once it is out.
Esoj
higher post count

Postby Sgt_Hobo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:06 pm

Few things:

Awesome work. Very innovative thought with the area.

It might feel more Cyberpunk-ish if the outside area was a less bright.

An alternative name I thought of for your consideration: dys_bunker
But remember, get the layout nailed before detailing it too much; it sucks to have a detailed map that plays like crap and having to scrap huge sections.
This as well.
Sgt_Hobo
PHAN
PHAN

Postby ocun » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:23 pm

oh yeah i'm liking it! completely new style, different from what we've seen before, and it seems to be working out really well!
ocun

Postby Elman » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:18 pm

It might feel more Cyberpunk-ish if the outside area was a less bright.
Yes. And if it had a few skyscrapers, garages, corporation buildings and pubs. And neon lights, of course.

Come on, it's a desert! Just because the classic Detonate-style street feels more Cyberpunkish it doesn't mean this doesn't fit. I doubt the future will be as dark as most maps currently are xD (The only daylight ones are Detonate and Fusion).
An alternative name I thought of for your consideration: dys_bunker
I'd say dys_desert is enough. Or maybe dys_[INSERT SOME DESERT NAME HERE] :P Dys_desertbase isn't bad, but usually map names use a single word, not two. And it's quite long, too.

But hey, it's not like that really matters. Fusion was Dys_Nameless for ages. And Broadcast was Dys_Radioshack :P
Elman
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Sgt_Hobo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:44 pm

Yes. And if it had a few skyscrapers, garages, corporation buildings and pubs. And neon lights, of course.

Come on, it's a desert! Just because the classic Detonate-style street feels more Cyberpunkish it doesn't mean this doesn't fit. I doubt the future will be as dark as most maps currently are xD (The only daylight ones are Detonate and Fusion).
All I'm suggesting is a little bit of an overall light reduction outside. Is that such a big problem? I'm not trying to turn it into a freakin' city, OK? I actually do like the idea of a desert and some kind of facility out in the middle of it.

Also, Detonate and Fusion are nowhere near as bright as this currently is. In fact, the overall amount of outside light is about what I was thinking for this.
Sgt_Hobo
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Warsprite » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:55 pm

The map looks excellent, my only concern is that the outside on the first objective will become a LRfest.
Warsprite
PHAN
PHAN

AOL: Vojoc

Postby twincannon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:28 pm

I think the brightness is fine, although the sky could be more overcast to give it a more rundown feel.

Also, if you're using fog, you might find it hard to make cyberspace look decent with it sadly, since the fog looks great.

And a question from me, how did you get that nice reflection on the floor? :)
twincannon
Puny Human staff

Postby Prototype » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:46 pm

Probably not possible, but it would be cool if objects and static props in the map showed up bright on thermals, since they are baking in the sun.

Just a fun thought.

Looks very nice, I hope to play it one day.
Prototype

Postby Remonttimies » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:40 am

Thanks for all of your good comments.

I don't think the outside will become a snipefest because you are mainly going to drive brutes. :D I had also been planning this map for a few months before I started to create it, so the gameplay should be quite good.

I have been thinking about the name, too. Maybe just "dys_desert" or "dys_desertfacility" could be good.

And about that reflective floor, I have created a tutorial. :P
Remonttimies
Decker

Postby Sgt_Hobo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:00 am

I think the brightness is fine, although the sky could be more overcast to give it a more rundown feel.
Maybe that's what I'm thinking of instead of light.
And a question from me, how did you get that nice reflection on the floor?
See, now we're going to get better looking Fortress and Undermine with reflections on the floor now. :wink:
Sgt_Hobo
PHAN
PHAN

Postby ocun » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:55 am

just a quick suggestion:
afk made this nice car model, it could suit the desert feel quite well imo:

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8290 ... t07lu8.jpg

perhaps you could even make them drivable
ocun

Postby Remonttimies » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:41 am

That car would be really nice. Punks could drive that and corps could drive brutes but I'm afraid it would need some coding by the devs and that car model some turrets.
Remonttimies
Decker

Postby ocun » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:20 am

i thought all you needed was a car model and a small script file (characteristics of the car) to get a working car in dystopia
ocun

Postby Elman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:23 am

All I'm suggesting is a little bit of an overall light reduction outside. Is that such a big problem? I'm not trying to turn it into a freakin' city, OK? I actually do like the idea of a desert and some kind of facility out in the middle of it.

Also, Detonate and Fusion are nowhere near as bright as this currently is. In fact, the overall amount of outside light is about what I was thinking for this.
Yes, because Fusion's at dawn, and Detonate... Well, Detonate's just dark-ish, although it's in daytime.

Anyway, what I meant is that just because the classic cyberpunk-themed scenario is a dark, futuristic street it doesn't mean it's always night in a cyberpunk world. And a desert has to be sunny during the day :P

(If it does look too bright in your screen, nevermind my post. But a lightning like de_dust is [for example] or something like that is perfectly fine in a Dystopia map, we don't need to have a "cyberpunk mood" in every map :P)
That car would be really nice. Punks could drive that and corps could drive brutes but I'm afraid it would need some coding by the devs and that car model some turrets.
Afaik mappers can already make custom vehicles. The devs don't have to code every single new one :P About the turrets... Good point, but maybe they can be added.

Btw, what's that screenshot, ocun? I mean the map... It looks nice. At first I thought it was Broadcast, it's the same graphic style :P
Elman
PHAN
PHAN

Postby twincannon » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:24 am

Anyone can get a car working in a variety of ways using custom models and script files, but it's a lot of work.

Re: the reflective tutorial, wow, that's not how I thought you did it - quite clever though! I thought you were using amped up cubemaps. It still has the same problem I assume (you wouldn't see yourself in it, but for a floor that's not nearly as bad as say a bathroom mirror). Thanks for the tut, though! One question, if you've tried it, what does it do to non-dx9 folks? Just not show the reflection?

*grumbles some more about things quake 3 can do that source can't*
Last edited by twincannon on Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
twincannon
Puny Human staff

Postby Sgt_Hobo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:27 am

Yes, because Fusion's at dawn, and Detonate... Well, Detonate's just dark-ish, although it's in daytime.

Anyway, what I meant is that just because the classic cyberpunk-themed scenario is a dark, futuristic street it doesn't mean it's always night in a cyberpunk world. And a desert has to be sunny during the day :P
A desert can be sunny, yes, but that picture just looks a bit too bright overall. How about this? Darken up the sand a little (which is where I think most of my aversion is coming from) and alter the skybox to something like Detonate's? That's all I would actually want to see.
(If it does look too bright in your screen, nevermind my post. But a lightning like de_dust is [for example] or something like that is perfectly fine in a Dystopia map, we don't need to have a "cyberpunk mood" in every map :P)
I know it's not always dark. Fusion and Detonate are about where I'd draw the line, personally. That and another map you guys haven't seen. I think maybe what I want more of is more of a lighting contrast as opposed to uniform lighting I see there.
Sgt_Hobo
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Dragon_Mech » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:33 pm

Looks awesome so far.... high noon, meet high tech.
I had no idea that 2 quarters a paper clip and 2 cans of corn made a cold fusion reactor. Amazing what vending machines can do.
Dystopia: Jack in. Kick donkey.
Dragon_Mech

Return to “%s” Dystopia Custom Content