template->_php_include(): File ./../includes/nav.inc.php does not exist or is empty

November Update - Dystopia Gets Steam'd!

Dystopia news posts by the Puny Human developers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

November Update - Dystopia Gets Steam'd!

Postby urinal-cake » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:16 pm

It was the sensation that pulled me in, that sensation which bore deep into our consciousness and took refuge within our minds. The sensation brokered a deal with our imaginations to understand a vastly dissimilar world from our own. It was a world that was contrary from the comfort of our chairs and our conditioned air, with ions glazing our faces with a coat of lethargy. Sent away from this comfort, we engaged in the usage of skill and tactics to combat our attacker. Skirmish after skirmish, it had sucked us in.

This sensation pulled me in, I felt the atmosphere of the world around me and the camaraderie of my team. We fought countless hours to see our goal's end, and always repeating the fight until it brooded our own stories and memories.

It's been too long since we have spoke, you and I -- or at least that eerie silence between us has made it seem that way. I looked to you for the depth of my experience, and the longevity of my enjoyment. They lust for you and there is no denying that they want you back.

You're the chilling sensation that made me sense the inside of Corporate Battle Armor as my own, which made me grip tight against the stock of the cold hardened steel separating me from death. I have been waiting until you can bring that back to me again. And now, my wait has finally come to an end.

Since being given the opportunity to utilize the SteamWorks utility, we have made it very clear to ourselves that we would keep it a secret, even to our best of friends, play testers and supporters, until we knew for a fact that we could harness this powerful application.

I have the pleasure of announcing that our next version, 1.2, complete with new maps, many new changes and fixes, will be available direct to download from Steam, utilizing the SteamWorks framework! I have said it numerous times in the past, but I will re-iterate. It does not matter the quality of the modification or game brought to SteamWorks, as it does that the modding community has been given this great opportunity to use such a distinguished application. We are very proud to be alongside some of the greatest modifications the Source community has to offer like Eternal Silence, Insurgency, D.I.P.R.I.P., Pirates, Vikings & Knights II, and more!

Along with this announcement, we'd like to formally announce the long-awaited and much anticipated Dystopia Statistics & Information System 2.0. We call it 2.0, because it is a complete rewrite, from the network protocol to the master server to the database to the web frontend. The whole thing is new and incorporates much of what we have learned from the original system. We've also implemented rolling stats, as was discussed heavily on the suggestions forums. It is flawlessly integrated into our next version to deliver a fast and easy to interpret informational view of all of Dystopia's players, matches, servers and more.

I am going to take advantage of our newly updated media section, by showing a video of the stats system in action. The media section now not only has many screenshots and past development activity for Dystopia, but now contains video trailers and interviews, magazine articles and press images, but also a mix of new and previous music for Dystopia by our very own bioxeed! You can check out some of the new tracks for Dystopia 1.2, such as Conflict Aria and Placid Reprisal in the music section!

And now, for a video run down of the new stats system:

<a href="http://www.dystopia-game.com/media/main.php?g2_itemId=4227">Download movie</a>

As mentioned in the video, here are just a few of the achievements we plan to bring to the Dystopia community in 1.2. 52 planned achievements affected by things like damage, kills, energy and usage. We have also planned an additional number of achievements that are unique to Dystopia, that we will talk about in the future.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Critical Mass - Kill 5 enemies with EMP Grenades
Pineapple Punch - Kill 10 enemies with Frag Grenades
One Fist, Two Fist, Red Fist, Blue Fist - Kill 25 enemies with the Fatman Fist
Street Samurai - Kill 40 enemies with the Medium Katana
Thinktank - Deal 3,000 damage with the Cortex Bomb
Vapourware - Deal 33,000 damage with the Ion Canon

Also, please take the time to welcome three new members to the Dystopia team, rabidpenguin a modeller and animator, Sverek, an Audio Effects developer and The-Donkey-Headed-Adversary, a tryout 2D Interface artist. We look forward to their contributions to the success of Dystopia!

Image Image Image Image Image Image
urinal-cake
Puny Human staff

Re: November Update - Dystopia Gets Steam'd!

Postby Esoj » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:31 pm

steamworks ftw!
Esoj
higher post count

Postby Pyr0 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:35 pm

Sweet mother of god... This is... wow just wow.

Dystopia team, present and past members (future too I guess) you have outdone yourselves, and I officially LOVE YOU.
The game looks beyond words, and you just keep throwing more and more to the mix.

I think its pretty safe to say that Dystopia can put up a fight (and win) with a lot of commercial games. The quality in everything is just amazing.

The stat system looks extremely top notch, and will probably be very popular.

I just have to say one last thing really (I'll admit, I'm writing stupidly in this post from awe) whoever made the Fish bowl - Phist icon can come to my house at any time and demand "a favor".

Dystopia for life!
Pyr0
Street Samurai

Postby Zero-Flame » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:41 pm

Awesome!!! Well.... Sadly it looks like I have to return the daughters of valve employees back to them now that they have given us STEAMWORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WW3|Zero-Flame
Free file hosting at http://Zero-Flame.com
US FastDL @ http://fastdl.zero-flame.com
Zero-Flame
higher post count

Postby Rellek » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:17 am

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA^100

In any case, wonderful news and I cannot wait to see what you guys do with steamworks outside of achievements and stats.
Rellek
Street Samurai

Postby Cin » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:21 am

Wrath wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA^100

In any case, wonderful news and I cannot wait to see what you guys do with steamworks outside of achievements and stats.

The stats and achievements are our own system and were built before we began talking about Steamworks :P
Cin
Team Dystopia
Team Dystopia

Postby Rellek » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:26 am

Figured as much, especially with the sheer robustness of the new stats page. Still I have to applaud you guys, not only does the new stat page seem to load faster, but it reports more and more beautifully than any AAA game I have seen. Regardless of the success of Dystopia, the stat system you have in place is worthy of going commercial from what you have shown, or at the very least a bargaining chip towards Valve to obtain a license. Either way, glad you guys have Steamworks!
Rellek
Street Samurai

Postby Flawaffles » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:00 am

awesome
just....
awesome
Flawaffles
PHAN
PHAN

Postby metzgrr! » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:04 am

Awesome news!

I think steamworks and the new update is going to make dystopias playerbase explode! atleast i hope so :)
Last edited by metzgrr! on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
metzgrr!
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Juan » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:04 am

holy shit!!!
Juan
PHAN
PHAN

Postby feanix » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:14 am

Pyr0 wrote:whoever made the Fish bowl - Phist icon can come to my house at any time and demand "a favor".

Ooooh, I don't think you want that. Not at all.
feanix
Team Dystopia
Team Dystopia

Postby Juan » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:29 am

can't wait for the stats to be reset on release so you don't see bitey's name everywhere
Juan
PHAN
PHAN

Postby LackLusterLife » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:58 am

now just to wait anxiously to get back to my beloved AR. i miss you buddy =\

dont suppose we could get some time range? unless this is just a cruel joke for those of us who havent gotten in on the beta
LackLusterLife
Street Samurai

Postby feanix » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:06 am

Hey, it's not the journey, it's the ride. 8)

I'm pretty sure it won't take Bitey long at all to get back up on top. He's more than twice as good as the next best person in our system.
feanix
Team Dystopia
Team Dystopia

Postby Juan » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:12 am

100 HOURS
Juan
PHAN
PHAN

Postby D_ » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:45 am

Friggin awesome. I just hope 1.2 won't be TOO swamped by people. Also, awesome. And awesome. Awesome.
D_
Street Samurai

Postby Esoj » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:22 am

Juan wrote:100 HOURS

just over a week at 12 hours a day of playing dystopia. a good aim for when 1.2 comes out for the crazy people 100 hours of dys in a week 1 day and a few hours it works out too.
Esoj
higher post count

Postby termi » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:33 am

the achievement images were done by one of our amazing 2d artists, Feanix. So feel free to shower him with whatever liquid you see fit :)

also, heres an outtake render for the punk steamworks model i did for the news post

Team T, you know you want it.
termi
Team Dystopia
Team Dystopia

Postby dishwasherlove » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:58 am

Rickrolled?

Anyway the DYS team have done their job, its now up to us, the long time DYS players to teach the new influx of players what Dystopia is all about. We should take this great opportunity to boost our playerbase, and retain it.
dishwasherlove

Postby termi » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:29 am

agreed dishwasher, if all you hardcore guys could be extra helpful and non-douchey to the newbies, things would be awesome.
Team T, you know you want it.
termi
Team Dystopia
Team Dystopia

Postby Fuzzy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:45 am

Good googly moogly that stats video gave me such a raging hardon.

Once again the sexy man beasts who continued pouring blood, sweat and tears into Dystopia after I stepped aside have just blown my mind with their awesomeness.

It is utterly incredible to me seeing that the current Team Dys guys have brought to fruition so many of the crazy ideas which were firmly placed on the "one day down the track, wouldn't it be cool if..." list when we were first brain storming. Not to mention the kick ass things that we hadn't even dreamt of. The amount of polish is just amazing.

The new stats system is beyond cool and I'm totally in awe of how slick it is. Compared to the oooooooold schooooool shit I haxed up during play testing of the demo, this new stuff is solid gold.

My hat is firmly off. I am so incredibly proud of what everyone still toiling away on Dystopia have produced.

Finally on steam!! It makes me want to ring Doug Lombardi and give him a shitload of grief over how long it took Valve to make good on his promise.....
Last edited by Fuzzy on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fuzzy
Team Dystopia
Team Dystopia

Postby DarkWolf » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:46 am

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
:mrgreen:
<frier> interesting... teddy coded the turrets to shoot people in the nuts

[ DarkWolf ] yay, found a bug
[ Teddy ] nooooooooooooooooo
DarkWolf
higher post count

Postby feanix » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:50 am

termi wrote:So feel free to shower him with whatever liquid you see fit :)

Penguin Wine heated to 43 degrees celcius (science, bitches!), for preference.
feanix
Team Dystopia
Team Dystopia

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:33 am

Hells yes.

Also, when u-c sorts the stats by deaths, I jump halfway up the page. Go me!
<the_funkmaster> does lez dream of ELCRETIC SHPEE?
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
higher post count

Postby Remonttimies » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:20 am

HAHAHAHA, I already got to know this ONE AND A HALF MONTH ago! Better be mapper. :D
Remonttimies
Decker

Next

Return to Dystopia News