template->_php_include(): File ./../includes/nav.inc.php does not exist or is empty

November Update - Dystopia Gets Steam'd!

Dystopia news posts by the Puny Human developers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Re: November Update - Dystopia Gets Steam'd!

Postby anton_es » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:24 am

i had no trouble getting steam/dystopia to run on an ubuntu system with the help of an online guide.
anton_es
higher post count

Postby metzgrr! » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:44 am

Heres a little something i made to celebrate the news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VINuNQgEgBo&fmt=22

Im saying goodbye to 1.1 since i wont probably be able to play it until 1.2 is released. Any ways, enjoy!
metzgrr!
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Zero-Flame » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:42 pm

thats a bad ass video man
WW3|Zero-Flame
Free file hosting at http://Zero-Flame.com
US FastDL @ http://fastdl.zero-flame.com
Zero-Flame
higher post count

Postby Pyroguy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:05 pm

You must make teh 1.2 trailer my man.
Pyroguy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby sole21000 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:14 am

Long post ahead.

The dream has finally come to fruition....this day is made of win indeed.

dishwasherlove wrote:Anyway the DYS team have done their job, its now up to us, the long time DYS players to teach the new influx of players what Dystopia is all about...... We should take this great opportunity to own the noobs!

Sorry I couldn't resist, when 1.2 comes out I'll try my best to teach the newchallengerscomers.

Cin wrote:
Cyanyde wrote:It was *reeeeally* hard to keep my mouth shut about this.. but I did it! :D

Congrats Dystopia.. you deserve this!

You? Imagine how we felt after seeing like 10 separate threads about Steamworks pop up :P

I kinda feel bad now for all the valve-bashing threads I've seen on here....no wonder the team kept telling people to f**k off with the hating.

Sgt Crise wrote:Ok who am I lying to, you better bind those:

"To hack, you need Cyberdeck implant equipped in your loadout"
"To be invisible, use Stealth implant"
"Stop TKing, nooblet!"
"I know that cyberspace is whack, but let ME deck before fresh respawn perforates our butts?"
"Yes I can see you trough walls. No, I'm not cheating"
"Heavies can't deck"
"Shoot teh blu guise!"/"Shoot teh red guise!"
"Medium/AR/TAC/IFF/Medi/SCS"
"Follow everyone else"
"We moved to another objective. Kill yourself"
"No you can't regain armor"
"FF is always on"
"STAAAAAAAXXXXXX!!!"

I know the team has a lot on their plates, but it'd probably be immensely helpful to put these tips in-game somewhere, like at the end of a round on the bottom of the screen, or even when just running around. (Kinda like L4D)

Overflow wrote:The reason Steamworks mods were removed from the games list is because a group of 10 people continuously complained on the valve forms that they did not purchase the games therefore they should not see them in there list. They ruined it for everyone.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=733103

Support the thread to get mods back on the games list! (Albeit in modified form)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739095
sole21000
Street Samurai

Postby radz » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:25 am

dystopia win ++
TIS ME!
radz
higher post count

Postby Chish » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:19 am

:)
Can't wait to miss many hours of sleep playing Dystopia. Feel free to release it once I am done with my exams (the 11th).
Chish
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Aurion » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:58 am

I can not yet post there..

Funny thing (well, not THAT funny) that even with a completely non-intrusive way, people are against this.

I can not choose wether to display Day of Defeat or HL:DM in the Not Installed section, because i own them.. but everyone owns mods, as they are for free.

Also i do not own Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead or The Ship, and still Steam insist on displaying the Dedicated Server for all this games in "Tools". Heck, even GTR Evolution Demo has a Dedicated Server in there.. but people complain about free mods, which got Valves approvement/sign of quality in form of Steamworks..

So i totally support the idea of displaying them somehow.
Aurion
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Peewi » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:49 pm

As someone who has played Dystopia in the past, this is great news and I will return to the game once the new version goes up.

From reading the news post and this thread, I understand that the stats and achievements system being implemented in Dystopia seperate from Steamworks, but does this mean that no stats will be tracked by Steamworks?

While the stats display on Steam Community profiles doesn't have as many features as what is shown in the video, Day of Defeat: Source does feature some extensive stat tracking (As an example, here's some random guy's DoD:S stats).

My main concern is that I don't want to visit a seperate website to view my Dystopia stats and achieveents, when I can view those for other Steamworks games on steamcommunity.com.
Peewi
Rocketeer

Postby Zero-Flame » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:26 pm

I have a feeling the stats will be recorded through both sections. and that the website is just a way for them to track their own players. but im not sure thats just an assumption. They did put a lot of work into the site and its just another beautiful way of showing their players achievements where people will be looking at their stats
WW3|Zero-Flame
Zero-Flame
higher post count

Postby Overflow » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:31 pm

Peewi wrote:As someone who has played Dystopia in the past, this is great news and I will return to the game once the new version goes up.

From reading the news post and this thread, I understand that the stats and achievements system being implemented in Dystopia seperate from Steamworks, but does this mean that no stats will be tracked by Steamworks?

While the stats display on Steam Community profiles doesn't have as many features as what is shown in the video, Day of Defeat: Source does feature some extensive stat tracking (As an example, here's some random guy's DoD:S stats).

My main concern is that I don't want to visit a seperate website to view my Dystopia stats and achieveents, when I can view those for other Steamworks games on steamcommunity.com.

Dystopia is a unique game and hosting stats on a separate server just makes it that more unique and awesome.
Overflow
Physical Adept

Postby obj » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:51 pm

Aurion wrote:I can not yet post there..

Funny thing (well, not THAT funny) that even with a completely non-intrusive way, people are against this.

I can not choose wether to display Day of Defeat or HL:DM in the Not Installed section, because i own them.. but everyone owns mods, as they are for free.

Also i do not own Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead or The Ship, and still Steam insist on displaying the Dedicated Server for all this games in "Tools". Heck, even GTR Evolution Demo has a Dedicated Server in there.. but people complain about free mods, which got Valves approvement/sign of quality in form of Steamworks..

So i totally support the idea of displaying them somehow.

One of the reasons I bought HL2 was the mods. So I would definitely say that I paid for the mods. Kind of :? then that they don't display the mods I've paid for even though they have the technical platform for it.
I will wear only black and white and hide in the alleys on Saturday nights.
__
-Is that for the pain?
-No. This causes paralysis. There is nothing for the pain.
obj
higher post count

Postby Peewi » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:39 pm

Overflow wrote:Dystopia is a unique game and hosting stats on a separate server just makes it that more unique and awesome.

That's an annoying reason to be unique and is just an inconvenience to it's players. I have no idea about how either stats system works, but I'd like it if all information was stored in Steam Community and the Dystopia website was only used for fancy presentations of this info.

Also, if the Dystopia team have access to the Steamworks tools, does that mean that they can make an Official Game Group on Steam? There's multiple games not currently available on Steam with OGGs.
Peewi
Rocketeer

Postby Aurion » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:50 pm

As the other mods got a Official Game Group, Dystopia should get one, too. I would think that the Team is already secretly working on it to make it in time with the release or so..
Aurion
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Zero-Flame » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:40 pm

Like i said Peewi: I have a feeling the stats will be recorded through both sections. The stats system is a huge feature that they didnt have to do and i actually like all of the awesome things in it and I would like to see my achievements in there where the dystopia community can see them rather than my "e friends" on steam
WW3|Zero-Flame
Zero-Flame
higher post count

Postby Peewi » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:37 pm

That's nice and all, but feelings doesn't have anything to do with what the dev team is planning/doing.
Peewi
Rocketeer

Postby Ansob » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:49 pm

IIRC, the Steam Community stuff is automated and carries the achievements. That means that the primary recording method will be via Steam Community, with in-depths stats provided by the website.
Ansob
higher post count

Postby RC cola » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:53 pm

Chish wrote::)
Can't wait to miss many hours of sleep playing Dystopia. Feel free to release it once I am done with my exams (the 11th).

yea i agree, release around or after that time, cereal...i really need to get some quality time studying for finals, i dont have self control when it comes to dys...
RC cola
Blank Load Out

Postby D_ » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:43 am

My guess is that the dev team decided to work off what they had already (the independent stats system that actually predates Steam community, iirc), instead of trying to adopt the new tools that are now available to them. Synchronizing achievements from the Dys stats tracking system with the achievements on Steam community seems easy enough, but rebuilding the stats system to get it on there doesn't.
D_
Street Samurai

Postby Elman » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:38 am

Ok, I think that's gonna make me play Dystopia again, at least for a while.

Damn you all!

(Great job, btw :D)
Elman
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Ansob » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:01 am

D_ wrote:(the independent stats system that actually predates Steam community, iirc)

By three or four years, yes.
Ansob
higher post count

Postby Fuzzy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:34 am

Peewi wrote:That's an annoying reason to be unique and is just an inconvenience to it's players. I have no idea about how either stats system works

Or it could be that the stats system which steamworks makes available isn't up the to same standard as what Team Dys have created from scratch?
Fuzzy
Team Dystopia
Team Dystopia

Postby Dredhorse » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:06 am

hmm new income source.... donate X USD and supply your own achievement :mrgreen:

/me wonders if some other stuff but I doubt people are even considering it.
OH. btw: I'm normally NOT in these forums anymore, so if you want something from me you need to PM me.

Dredhorse
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Peewi » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:52 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Peewi wrote:That's an annoying reason to be unique and is just an inconvenience to it's players. I have no idea about how either stats system works

Or it could be that the stats system which steamworks makes available isn't up the to same standard as what Team Dys have created from scratch?

While the Dystopia stats system has a very nice presentation and provides rankings, but DoD:S shows that pretty much any information can be stored and shown on Steam Community profiles. I'd like it if all stats were shown in both places, simply because I find it more convenient to go to Steam Community through the Steam client than to navigate to some third party site. And Steam Community can be browsed while in a game, other websites can't without editing files.
Peewi
Rocketeer

Postby Aurion » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:24 pm

Steam is 3rd Party, as you are playing Dystopia, not Steam.

I wouldn't mind to see the stats in Steam aswell, but i prefer having a reliable 1st party site instead of trying to use Steam which first freezes when hitting a button, tells me it has to restart for an update just after i restarted it after crash, then puts me offline just because it can and finally takes ages to load the site where only half the numbers are correct.. or so.
Aurion
PHAN
PHAN

PreviousNext

Return to Dystopia News